Gail and I have decided to memorize a verse a week until we go to Terekeka, South Sudan, which is 10 weeks away. We have listed the 10 verses below so that if you choose to, you can join us in this. Though the first week is almost over, you can still catch up. We chose to start with Ephesians 2:8-10 because it is a reminder that we cannot do it on our own. We must have the grace of God. Also, if any good comes from us, it first came from God through Christ Jesus. We must remain humble and fulfill the purpose that we have in the family of God.
Here is a list of the verses:
- Ephesians 2:8-10 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
- Philippians 2:5-11 “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who being in the very nature of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
- Psalm 68:5 “A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.”
- John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
- Colossians 1:16 “For by him all things were created; things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.”
- Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
- Ephesians 4:15-16 “Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.”
- Ephesians 5:1-2 “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, Just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”
- 1 Peter 4:12-13 “Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.”
- 1 John 3:1 “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.”
This is just another way that we can join as the Body of Christ and serve him together even though we may be far apart.
In Christ’s Love,